Re: Local Access => Server DB?

by Clif Warren <dodger(at)zianet.com>

 Date:  Tue, 15 Feb 2000 20:10:34 -0700
 To:  hwg-servers(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Lee,

This function is actually a key part of a commerce application I am
developing. It uses almost exactly the technique Susan described, except I
use a VB-based CGI as opposed to CF.  The other difference is that I don't
have to generate an error first, I just swap the file; it manages to get
the renaming done in just a couple milliseconds, so the odds of getting
caught in the middle are seriously slim.  I imagine that a script written
in perl (or the language of your choice, so long as it can do CGI) would
work just as well, if put together correctly...

If you *really* need to use replication, it's a little more complicated
than one might initially think.  There is a white paper with all the
details at
http://support.microsoft.com/support/Access/Content/repl/replintwp.asp

HTH,
- Clif

At 08:08 PM 2/15/00 -0500, Susan Duncan wrote:
>Yup.  I do it all the time.  The problem is, you can't just update the
>Access file because it's always in use.  I use a quick and dirty Cold Fusion
>program (because that's what accesses the database normally) that generates
>an error and closes the
>connection to the file temporarily.  My normal process is FTP the file as
>file.mdb.sue, run the 'shut.cfm' program, rename file.mdb to file.mdb.old
>and file.mdb.sue to file.mdb
>
>Sounds a little convoluted but it works well unless you have a very active
>site in which case you might have to run shut a few times and be very fast <g>

>"Leland V. Lammert" wrote:
> Has anyone done a 'published' (with regular updates) an Access database to
>a remote server?

      Clif Warren,  MCP
    Lazerlite Enterprises
    4785 Elks Dr. Suite B