Re: Unsecured Server?

by Marius Zydyk <pod(at)null.net>

 Date:  Sat, 20 May 2000 23:23:19 -0600
 To:  hwg-servers(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 10:33 AM 5/20/00 -0500, Michael Jon Muehlendorf wrote:
>Well, I was already imagining all sorts of scenarios...my email being read,

------- Chances are very good that the dialup login and pop/imap
servers use different authentication sources.

>So, I guess my question to the list is, is this a common practice with
>authentication servers? And, if it is, how is it that it can go into this
>mode all by itself, and remain in that mode for 4 days without being
>noticed? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, because I am beginning
>to feel that they placed my account at risk through their negligence.

------- I've never heard of this 'novel' solution. The sensible thing
to do would be to have a backup authentication server in case your main
one fails, or for more scalibility, split up the dialup pool among
several servers and adjust each terminal server to query the appropriate
one.

Sounds like a really bad configuration and lazy/overworked/unskilled admins.

--
  Marius Zydyk -- pod(at)null.net -- http://www.domainofdarkness.com/