Re: Domain ownership

by "Billy O'Connor" <billy(at)kennet1.freeserve.co.uk>

 Date:  Fri, 15 Dec 2000 20:33:04 +0000
 To:  Rich Bowen <rbowen(at)rcbowen.com>,
hwg-servers(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 18:13 15/12/2000 , Rich Bowen wrote:
>Just picking some brains out there, if you don't mind.
>
>I have a situation involving domain name ownership, and I wondered if
>any of you folks might have had a similar situation, and what you did.
>
>A former employee, while he was employed here, did some work for a firm.
>Part of that work involved registering their domain name. The employee
>has since left, and we have no contact with the firm in question. Their
>domain is about to expire. My company is the contact for the domain,
>although we do not own it. The company is not responding to our email.
>
>The domain in question is potentially valuable, belonging to a fairly
>large national company. However, I expect that there would be legal
>ramifications if we were to, for example, redirect the DNS to our web
>server for the domain.
>
>I wonder if anyone might have a suggestion, anecdote, recommendation,
>legal advice, or snide remark, relating to this situation, that you
>might share.
>
>My inclination is to just let it expire. I know that this would irritate
>the company in question, and lose us any potential of a work
>relationship. OTOH, if we don't let it expire - ie, we pay the bill and
>assume ownership of the domain - there might be legal ramifications.

Hi Rich,

If they're not responding to email and you have no tel/postal contact
details stop all domain and email use of this domain ? If they use it,
surely they will receive conatct you anf then take it from there ?

If you do not receive anything in the next 3 months (a very reasonible time
period), put it up for sale !

There must be some statute of limitation in the US, even with domains ?

HTH,

Bill.