Re: I want to get something clear about SSI on Apache

by John Erjavec V <jev(at)pconline.com>

 Date:  Thu, 02 Sep 1999 13:33:52 -0500
 To:  "Aidan Whitehall" <aidan(at)netprofits.freeserve.co.uk>,
<hwg-servers(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 10:04 AM 9/2/99 +0100, Aidan Whitehall wrote:
> >My Web Host allows users to set up .htaccess files. Therefore, I can
> >put the following in the directories that require it:
> >
> >AddType text/x-server-parsed-html .html
>
>Does that mean that you just put a text file called ".htaccess" containing
>the one line written above in any directory which has .html files that
>contain SSIs, and they will behave as if they were .shtml files but with the
>.html extension?

Basically, yes.  The nice thing about putting it in the server config
files, rather than the .htaccess file is that it is (or at least _was_)
faster.  With the .htaccess files, the server has to parse every .htaccess
file it finds along the way to the file, every time it tries to serve a
file.  My understanding was that if you could, put the information at the
top level (i.e. the config files).  If not, the .htaccess files would work,
but would be slower.

-JEV
--
John Erjavec V ## sig(at)jevonline.com ## http://www.jevonline.com/jev/index.html
"I'll say it again for the logic impaired."  --Larry Wall