Re: hwg-servers-digest V1 #3

by "Tom Towle" <webmaster(at)fielding.edu>

 Date:  Sun, 07 Nov 1999 16:27:03 -1000
 To:  hwg-servers(at)mail.hwg.org
 >> > I've just received an UBE from a (what else) porn site and the URL has me
 >> > baffled :
 >> > http://www.465.co7@2148225737/wildfire/?959595

 >> It is not as complicated as it seems! The syntax is
 >>   http://<username>:<password>@host/path
 >> In this case they left the username out.
 >
 >Actually, I believe they left the password out. I often use the
 >username@host syntax for accessing FTP sites. You'll then get a password
 >dialog, if the site is in fact password protected. My guess would be
 >that they are using the username as some soft of tracking device.

This is nasty. Wouldn't this present your e-mail address as password held
in your browser's settings to the server by nature of anonymous (?) FTP?
What a sleazy way of extracting addresses for SPAM if so.

Tom
Tom Towle - Webmaster - The Fielding Institute - (805) 898-4038
<mailto:webmaster(at)fielding.edu>webmaster(at)fielding.edu -
http://www.fielding.edu/
Member - IWA, HWG, AIP - International Webmasters Association,
HTML Writers Guild and Association of Internet Professionals