Re: Apache Stops Serving Pages

by "Leland V. Lammert" <lvl(at)omnitec.net>

 Date:  Fri, 14 Apr 2000 11:13:56 -0700
 To:  "Pat Wolf" <patw(at)ptd.net>,
hwg-servers(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 07:42 AM 4/14/00 , Pat Wolf wrote:

>Everything has been running great until this week. For the last three
>nights at some point in the wee hours Apache has stop serving web
>pages. Tech Support says that their monitoring system shows that
>Apache is running however according to all logs web access has ceased.
>
>They are suggesting more RAM. Does this sound logical or should we be
>investigating other possibilities??

No, this is NOT logical. I have never seen Apache not serve pages IF the machine were getting the requests! In any case, .. RAM is the solution for slow response time with too much traffic, .. *NOT* the absence of traffic!

>  The question I have is why did everything work for five weeks and then stop even though traffic  seems reasonably consistent.

I would suspect that your hosting company has a problem routing traffic during that time period. If it is consistent, do your own trace routes so you can see where the route is breaking.

An alternative is to setup a minute-by-minute ping job to check the 'health' of your server (we used to do that years ago when we had an ISDN line). When you have a log file to show when the server is unavailable you can show the COLO provider exactly what is happening.

        Lee