.htaccess redirect for Error 401

by "Kevin A. Jackson" <kevin(at)nvision.on.ca>

 Date:  Mon, 28 Aug 2000 13:06:35 -0500
 To:  <hwg-servers(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
While we are on the topic of Errors, I have been trying to get an htaccess
file to redirect users to a custom error page if they fail authentication,
which usually brings up an Error 401 Authorization Required.

 From my understanding, you just need to add this line to your .htaccess file:

--
ErrorDocument 401 /errors/401.html
--

But we cannot get it to function as advertised. I am sure this is because
of the way we have structured the ErrorDocument directive relative to the

This is what we already have in the .htaccess:

--
AuthType Basic
AuthName "Please enter a valid username and password"

What I need to know is where to add the Error directive, relative to the
above syntax.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Kevin Jackson