Re: Personal Hosting

by "Leland V. Lammert" <lvl(at)omnitec.net>

 Date:  Mon, 22 May 2000 13:01:28 -0700
 To:  "Mukesh Wani" <mukeshwani(at)hotmail.com>,
hwg-servers(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 10:12 AM 5/22/00, Mukesh Wani wrote:
>Hi everyone,
>
>    I have a domain parked at a hosting company.  I would like to point the domain name to my DSL's Ip Address.  Can anyone explain to me what all I need to do to accomplish this or point me to some good resources.  The hosting company isn't helping much.

Mukesh,

To point a domain to your IP, you need a DNS server configured as your domain's name server. Your hosting company probably has a separate charge for that, since you (assumedly) will not be using their hosting services.

Currently, the hosting company has *their* DNS servers configured for your domain, so you would need to either contract with the hosting company for the DNS entry or setup your own DNS server on your DSL line (probably the preferred solution). If you did that, you would change your domain record to point to your DSL IP as it's name server.

         Lee