RE: Bash error log clues?

by Wayne Miller <badger(at)intrepid.net>

 Date:  Sat, 29 Jul 2000 19:30:51 -0400
 To:  hwg-servers(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 03:38 PM 7/29/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>There is always the possibility the ISP requires ".pl", not ".cgi", or may
>not allow scripts run from web directories, but my experience is that if
>this is the case, the browser will display the contents of the script as if
>it were a text file.

No, this is apparently something else generated every time a process is
started. It's a dedicated server and I have root access. All of the scripts
installed are, apparently, running fine and returning no errors. It's just
that everytime a process is started, the errorlog gets a two line error:

sh: syntax error near unexpected token `;'
sh: -c: line 1: `;'

No date, no time, no program causing the error, just those two lines and I
believe I've tracked it down to the point where I can say it's every time a
process is started. It isn't every time a program is run, but every time a
process is started. I've been on this server for 7 days now, and it was
doing it from the start with a stock setup. When I was setting up my
scripts on the server, I was checking the error log all along and those two
errors were showing up in the error log *before* I even installed my first
script.

Driving me nuts

Wayne