RE: Bash error log clues?

by Wayne Miller <badger(at)intrepid.net>

 Date:  Mon, 31 Jul 2000 17:24:29 -0400
 To:  hwg-servers(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 05:52 AM 7/31/2000 -0500, you wrote:
Normally, I'd be looking for a for/do loop. And it's not necessarily on
line 1 of the script, even though the error says so. In bash, the following
are equivalent:

That's a hint which may help, thanks

>The "-c" is also a clue. Here's a thought: does either the
>/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd file or the apachectl script contain a -c switch on
>the line that starts up httpd? If so, look at the file referenced and see
>if there's something odd. (It could even be a line in the httpd.conf file
>that's supposed to be commented but isn't.)

Can't find apachectl, in /etc/init.d/, but checked httpd and saw nothing
amiss. The server's configs just get read once at startup, is that right?

>But this is the odd thing -- and I'm really wierded out by it.

You and me both, ate up most of the day looking into this. I was able to
isolate a section of the access_log and correlate it to a section of the
error_log and here's what I found:

In an approximately 20 minute period, the error was logged either 120 or 60
times (depending upon whether the two-line error is one instance or two). I
cannot correlate *anything* happening in the error_log with something
occuring 60 or 120 times during that period in the access_log. No programs
being called fit that bill, but the only programs *I'm* running are Perl
scripts and none of them appear to be malfunctioning. Am I correct in
assuming the:

sh: syntax error near unexpected token `;'
sh: -c: line 1: `;'

error *must* come from a shell script? If Perl scripts malfunction, they
show time-stamped errors in the error log, at least that's my experience.
These errors are not time-stamped and are all like the above. I'm going to
check the cron log for that period of time and see if I can get any
correlation there. If not, I'm out of ideas.

>You might also try posting the question on the bash list
>(bash(at)moongroup.com) -- see http://www.moongroup.com for subscription
>information, if you're not already subscribed.

Will do, thanks. If I could just force the shell to time-stamp its errors,
that'd be some help.