RE: Bash error log clues?

by Mailing List Account <mlist(at)sohoweb.net>

 Date:  Tue, 01 Aug 2000 06:45:30 -0500
 To:  Wayne Miller <badger(at)intrepid.net>,
hwg-servers(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 04:24 PM 7/31/00, Wayne Miller wrote:

>Can't find apachectl, in /etc/init.d/, but checked httpd and saw nothing
>amiss. The server's configs just get read once at startup, is that right?

apachectl is in the apache /bin directory, if apache was compiled from
scratch. If memory serves, the RPM does not contain the file -- I've
symlinked it to the script in /etc/rc.d/init.d

My understanding is, if a config file is specified at httpd startup, each
time a server process needs to be started, the config is re-read. May be
wrong there. Suppose it would probably depend on whether you were running
Apache in standalone or inetd mode.

>In an approximately 20 minute period, the error was logged either 120 or
>60 times (depending upon whether the two-line error is one instance or
>two). I cannot correlate *anything* happening in the error_log with

The two-line error is one instance. Line 1 is the error itself, line 2 is
the error notification.

>sh: syntax error near unexpected token `;'
>sh: -c: line 1: `;'
>
>error *must* come from a shell script? If Perl scripts malfunction, they
>show time-stamped errors in the

It could come from a program called "sh" -- but normally, it would indicate
a shell call.

Best,
Scott Temaat, President/CEO
SOHOWeb Technologies, LLC (http://www.sohoweb.net)
Sales/Admin: 888-421-SOHO    Customer Service: 888-421-7981

Now Available: Web Presence services custom-fitted to your small business
needs and budget. No more one size fits all! Details at
http://www.smallbizhost.net