Re: Domain ownership

by "Leland V. Lammert" <lvl(at)omnitec.net>

 Date:  Fri, 15 Dec 2000 18:08:58 -0600
 To:  Moe Rubenzahl <moe(at)maxim-ic.com>,
Rich Bowen <rbowen(at)rcbowen.com>,
hwg-servers(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 02:42 PM 12/15/00 -0800, Moe Rubenzahl wrote:
>I would try harder to contact the company. It sounds as though all you
>have done is send e-mail and there are many reasons why it might go
>unanswered. I would call, write, fax. A "fairly large national company"
>should not be terribly hard to contact. I would definitely make sure you
>keep records to show a substantial attempt to let them know.

For heavens sake why? Why should Rich wast THEIR time? A nice letter should
be sufficient. If not, as soon as somebody at the company notices the web
site isn't working they will have to figure it out.

>I don't know if you have any legal responsibility but a letter and a few
>phone calls seems the right thing to do.

No, they don't. The 'Organization Using' (Item 3a on the registration) is
legally the owner of the domain name. *They* are the responsible party in
all forms.

Rich's company might be listed for ALL of the contacts, .. but the OU is
the domain owner, and unless Rich's company is listed AS the OU, Rich's
company has no legal rights to the name itself.

         Lee