Re: Bandwidth

by "Leland V. Lammert" <lvl(at)omnitec.net>

 Date:  Fri, 02 Feb 2001 09:32:05 -0600
 To:  Adam Trickett <adam_trickett(at)ebt.com>,
hwg <hwg-servers(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 11:14 AM 2/2/01 +0000, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>We are hoping to mode out of our serviced offices soon, into a bigger
>office of our own. What telco options have people found that work for
>them. (We're UK based).
>
>ADSL is in the area, but I've no idea if any of the providers are any good.

Stay away from ADSL if you need to run servers. [At least in the states]
your upstream bandwidth is severely limited, .. and most of the telcos do
NOT guarantee service availability! Over here, ADSL is setup as a
*consumer* grade service, .. not something for a business running servers.

Is SDSL available? This is the only DSL option for hosting/servers.

>E1 (T1 in US) would be nice but isn't going to be cheap.

What about COLO (renting rack space in a NOC)? You could lease a server
from *any* company (there are about a thousand of them selling rack space
and servers), .. I have seen deals starting at $99/month, .. but somewhere
near $300 is more typical. If you go COLO, you can setup multiple servers
(i.e. one east, one west) for clients that want guaranteed uptime.

>ISDN probably isn't enough for when we really need it, but should be fine
>most of the time.....

Use ISDN for *your* access (or perhaps ADSL since you would not have
servers there).

         Lee