Re: Apache/.asp question

by jim <jim(at)newglobal.net>

 Date:  Wed, 30 May 2001 22:26:43 -0500
 To:  hwg-servers(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Thanks to everyone for your replies, on, as well as off list. Basically
everyone said the same thing. My answer is purely from a customer
satisfaction standpoint. While I have nothing against .asp in general I
would personally opt for another solution. We do support PHP4, but we are
finding quite a few current customers, as well as potential customers, are
asking for .asp. At least a good 7-10% of our new inquiries are asking for
.asp. Several years ago we made the move to install Frontpage extensions
after experiencing similar numbers. Today that number has grown to the
point that nearly 50% of our customer base is using Frontpage.

Tino, it took almost a full year before the security holes, bugs, and
what-not were worked out to the satisfaction of our admin dept and they
felt comfortable enough to make the upgrade from FP98 to FP2000. Gladly,
security is a huge issue on this network. I fear that if there are similar
security concerns that go along with asp, this idea may be dead before it
ever gets a chance to get off the table.

Thanks again,

Jim