Re: hosting website and email

by "Leland V. Lammert" <lvl(at)omnitec.net>

 Date:  Thu, 16 Aug 2001 09:20:29 -0500
 To:  Shawn Sass <shawn(at)sportsstuff.com>,
<Brad_Starkenberg(at)jbhunt.com>
 Cc:  hwg servers <hwg-servers(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 04:41 PM 8/15/01 -0500, Shawn Sass wrote:
>UNIX would be ideal, since our website currently employs some CGI scripts,
>etc.  I'd rather not re-write them to work elsewhere.
>
>Is there a standard course similar to MCSE that deals with UNiX instead of
>M$?

Shawn,

Unfortunately, you are the victim of typical MS marketing. I know a *DOZEN*
MCSEs that wouldn't know where to start building a web server, .. one chap
that hosts his web site with us is an MCSE, MCP, MCT, and about three other
MS certifications, yet he cannot even manage to configure Outlook to get
his email!

Bottom line - building a web server or any other type of Internet server
requires exprience and practice. Thinking that an MCSE wlll prepare you to
do that is like thinking that learning how to read will give you knowledge
- apples and oranges. *ALL* Microsoft Certifications are pieces of paper
only, .. to manage a server you need experience and practice. Only when you
get to the more advanced certifications (e.g. Cicso) do you *add* a piece
of paper to a BUNCH of required experience.

I second (or third) the recommendation(s) already given - find a
well-recommended consultant, friend, or someone from a User's Group in your
area that will help you do the setup, then ease your way into management.

         Lee