Advice needed. Server resource usage script

by jim <jim(at)newglobal.net>

 Date:  Sun, 30 Sep 2001 11:38:57 -0500
 To:  hwg-servers(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi folks,

I'm needing reports on CPU usage for a web hosting company with 50 to 100
domains on each of our many Linux/Apache servers. Optimally, I would like
to see a format similar to our disk and bandwidth reports where each domain
(or user) would have usage tallied and reported as a percentage of total
usage for that machine, and emailed to me each day. As things stand, now,
when I hear customer reports of slow server response I am having to use Top
to look at what's eating up all the CPU time. Over the weekend I had a
customer running seven occurances of a script, each of them making calls to
sendmail, and all of this under some pretty heavy traffic. Needless to say
these conditions totally bogged down one of our servers. I feel that if I
had a daily report of CPU usage totals, I may have a hint of situations
like these before they get totally out of hand. Does anyone know of a
script that will run in the background and do this? Another need is knowing
what script belongs to whom. For example, some-script.cgi runs under user
nobody as the web server. Thsi is how Top reports on the usage that script
gets. This is not helpful to me. I need the reporting to take it down to
the user who belongs to the script, along the lines of  what ps -awx shows.
Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Jim