Re: Server Setup

by Marius Zydyk <pod(at)null.net>

 Date:  Thu, 14 Jun 2001 23:40:36 -0600
 To:  "Mike Lessar" <rfd246(at)bigfoot.com>,
<hwg-servers(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Well, the short answer is: read and understand the security chapter of the
MySQL manual (http://www.mysql.com/).

We have a similar situation, where a number of clients are hosted on a
single server, and have shell access (telnet/ssh/ftp) to their account (a
cgi hosting account essentially). They can also have a MySQL database
configured on request. The way this works is that a separate database is
created for each user (the database has the same name as their account
login id for convinience), and a MySQL user created (also with the as the
account login id/password) and access is granted for that user only to
their database. This is done through a combination of records in the
db/host/tables_priv/user mysql databases. You will find some examples on
the MySQL web site, and the manual is pretty good, assuming you know the
basic principles behind SQL databases.

--
   Marius Zydyk -- pod(at)null.net -- http://www.domainofdarkness.com/