Re: Putty

by Marius Zydyk <pod(at)null.net>

 Date:  Mon, 20 Aug 2001 01:09:05 -0600
 To:  Michael Jon Muehlendorf <haoka(at)wi.tds.net>,
hwg-servers(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Your ISP is quite correct in shutting off telnet, albeit a few years behind
schedule. I wrote a password sniffer for one of my university classes, and
when you see how simple it is to do and how well it works, you'll never use
plain text passwords again. This applies to telnet, pop3, ftp, web. Eeek,
everyone should shut off telnet immediately and run ssh, even on a trusted
internal network, it's just too nice (key authentication, if you configure
it, is especially convinient, no more passwords).

As others have mentioned, telnet runs on port 23, SSH is on port 22. An ssh
client will know automatically which port to go to, just use the same
machine address as before.

There are several options you have for a telnet/ssh client, visit
tucows.com and pick a mirror to find lots. Personally I use TeraTerm with
the SSH plugin (you'll have to go to their homepage to get the plugin
link). It's a very good client, light, simple, you can have dozens of them
running and not be able to tell the difference. For the real unix shell
flavour, try the real ssh ;) ssh.com or .org or whatever has a free ssh
client download, along with useful tools like scp (secure file copy over
ssh). MZ

--
   Marius Zydyk -- pod(at)null.net -- http://www.domainofdarkness.com/