Re: How do you work on MS-based websites?

by Tino Wildenhain <cdtv(at)amigager.de>

 Date:  Sat, 28 Sep 2002 14:32:02 +0200
 To:  Lisa Whirrett <justlisa(at)grm.net>,
hwg-servers(at)hwg.org,
"Kevin A. Jackson" <kevin(at)nvision.on.ca>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Kevin,

are you really sure you must use IIS? I would analyze what
are really the needs of the customers. Not what he believes
he need but what he really need.

For example if he has some backend process which saves data
in this ... erm... Access "Database", this could easy be replaced
with a server running your LAMP Or even win2k and cygwin environment.
You can as well use Apache, PHP (if you are familar with it) and
perhaps postgres. With cygwin you have a really shell and
really openssh just like operanding systems these days have ;)
(win2k even has some rudimentair telnet services, but dont try this
at home, kids ;))
With either setup - unix/linux or cygwin - your client can connect
his backend processes via ODBC (at least postgres has decent
ODBC drivers and outperforms Access easyly in every aspect :-)

Would this be a way to consider?

I also should mention that Zope runs native on win32 and can connect
to every ODBC database. With Zope you could work via web.

Either solution is better to work with compared to transferring a whole
GUI over the net and clicking on gadgets which appear to be as respondible
as bubble-gum ;) Not to mention the high security risc. At least
VNC tansfers passwords in clear text.

IMHO win32 can be placed on some descs, but I dont like it in a productive
server environment because its so hard to administer if you dont have
physical access to it. Its almost everytime like operating thru a slow
keyhole.

For the customer its an easy equation: supporting win2k/iis is much more
expensive as the solutions I outlined below. You will work longer, you
might also need expensive software (even your license of win2k on
your site costs a lot - not to mention the database and "supporting" tools.

HTH
Tino Wildenhain

--On Freitag, 27. September 2002 14:07 -0500 Lisa Whirrett