Re: Apache installation

by jdiaz(at)ivtech.com

 Date:  Tue, 7 Nov 2000 14:03:03 -0700 (MST)
 To:  "G. Norman" <trackthat(at)mindspring.com>
 Cc:  hwg-servers(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

First of all you'll be surprised at how well the PC you described runs Linux.  The company I used to work for ran their corporate website off of a plain vanilla Pentium 90 for years with no problems whatsoever.  Sorta showed how bloated Windows really is.

But back on the subject at hand.  Did you download the software (Apache/MySQL/PHP) from their websites, or did it come off of a Linux distribution?  You may want to visit each of the associated websites and download the software from them, and also check their installation instructions.  From my experience, I've typically had difficulty trying to get applications to install through instructions from a book.  The online instructions are usually more helpful for me, or even the README files with the software.  Each installation typically has a setting to override the install path.  I've installed each of the applications you mentioned on my own server, and the process was not trivial by any means.  I wish I could help further, but I'd start with the online instructions if you haven't yet.

 - Jeff