Re: list servers???

by Moe Rubenzahl <moe(at)maxim-ic.com>

 Date:  Mon, 30 Oct 2000 16:58:27 -0800
 To:  Lyle <Lyle(at)lcrcomputer.com>,
"Hwg-Servers List (E-mail)" <hwg-servers(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Sorry for not responding earlier. Following clip is kind of long, but
full of good info.

--

There is quite a range of solutions.

- A very quick and easy solution is to use one of several free list
server services -- onelist.com is a good one. Easy to set up and run,
works well, but adds an ad to each message.

- If you want to operate your own, on your own servers, there are
three: The free majordomo; and for-fee listserv and Lyris.

I use Lyris and think it is the best. I am not affiliated -- just a
happy user. Having run a majordomo-fired list server for several
years, I am thrilled at having switched to Lyris. Not acquainted with
ListServ.

For lists with less than 200 names, it's free; above 200 you have to
buy it but if your time is worth anything, the cost will pay for
itself.

Advantages are:

- MUCH easier to administer, even by non-technical personnel

- Does a great job of knocking bad addresses off the list after they
bounce a certain number of times. With 'domo, eventually the bad
addresses will cause you problems and if you have more than 1000
people on the list, keeping the addresses clean becomes a pretty big
issue.

- Much easier for users, especially for unsubscribe.

- Very efficient, even for large lists.

- Their customer support is stellar.

- More customizable if you want to do special things. (If you need to
do this. I can recommend a consultant: Thomas Berry
<Thomas.Berry(at)siryl.com> or Siryl Solutions).

They also will host it for you -- in other words, you don't have to
run the thing yourself.

See: http://www.lyris.com

Moe Rubenzahl
moe(at)maxim-ic.com

Director of Internet Marketing
Maxim Integrated Products

--

There are at least two others that I personally know of:

mailman:  http://www.list.org/

I have a demo/test list on a mailman server.  The web interface for list
management is *very* easy to use, and the web interface for list
subscribers seems equally easy to use.  However, I haven't put a list into
production on a mailman server so I am not yet ready to just say "use it".

listmanager:  http://www.listmanager.org/

I know the author of listmanager, and have been running a 200 subscriber
list on listmanager for about 3 years now.  It is very different from the
other mailing list software packages, but I believe that it is *much* more
powerful.  The customization options available to those who use listmanager
are truly amazing.  If you really have particular ideas about how you want
mailing list software to be configured, take a look at listmanager.

Subject: list servers???
Author: Lyle
Date: 9/21/00 7:07 PM -0500