Re: hosting website and email

by Moe Rubenzahl <moe(at)maxim-ic.com>

 Date:  Wed, 15 Aug 2001 16:59:43 -0700
 To:  Shawn Sass <shawn(at)sportsstuff.com>,
<hwg-servers(at)hwg.org>

Not a good idea, at least not right away. Unix servers take
-considerable- expertise to run properly. Even if you got everything
working, you would be taking some serious risks with regard to
security, reliability, backup, etc. And if anything goes wrong you
would not be able to troubleshoot it yourself and could very easily
be down for days.

Not impossible -- just very risky.

And you also need to worry about high-reliability power and net connection.

Finally -- why? You can get a Unix-based web and e-mail host from the
likes of behosting.com for -- oops, not allowed to say a price here
but it's not much. I've used them for a couple of years, almost
without problems. You can pay for 10 years of hosting for less than
it will cost for you to learn how to admin it yourself.

Yes, there are courses in Unix. Sun offers some fast track programs.
Quite pricey but that's what you need to become a Unix admin, in my
opinion. (I'm not one myself -- but I employ a couple.)