RE: Should I use EMACS?

by "Jane Will" <jane(at)web.net>

 Date:  Tue, 16 Jun 1998 09:06:28 -0400
 To:  <hwg-software(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original

> > Specifically, can somebody give a solid reason for me to switch from MS Word
> > (7) to EMACS? If it's so good, what will it offer me that Word doesn't?

I agree with what Jim Polk said...the two are totally different programs, used
for different things.
I love Word but there are lots of cases where I wouldn't use it (html editing,
cgi script editing)
I have tried emacs but it is not intuitive and I don't need all it's functions
or the ability to program in new ones...so I find it an unnecessary learning
curve to climb.

There are cases where you need a good straight text editor though, and for that
I would recommend "TextPad" by Helios Software Solutions at:
http://www.textpad.com/  (if you're using Windows).  The learning curve is not
nearly as steep as emacs and it won't mess with your text by adding formatting
characters.

One word of caution about the WYSIWYG html editors .... they are fine if you are
writing in html code only, especially if your whole site will be edited with the
same editor, but if multiple people are working on the site or you have non-html
scripting in your pages, they wreak havoc.  Dreamweaver is a possible exception
to this rule, but Frontpage, Netscape Gold ,PageMill or <shudder> Word will mess
up your code.  You may not see it when you're creating or editing the page but
the next person who has to work on it will :-(

I like using a semi-WYSIWYG editor for html (like Homesite or BBEdit)....but I'm
more of a "rodentophile" than a keyboard person :-)