RE: Win Me

by "Ryan Huggins" <RyanHuggins(at)prodigy.net>

 Date:  Sun, 7 Jan 2001 18:38:18 -0800
 To:  <hwg-software(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Actually this has been happening for some time.  It is Microsoft's new
"strategy" for combating piracy.  From what I gather the Dells and Gateways
of the world have to agree to this or else they don't get the OS.  I've also
heard that for a couple hundred buckazoids more, you can get the install
disks, which I've always considered should come with the software.

Many months ago this policy statement came out (I think before Win98 was
released).  I do not know if it has changed, since the majority of comments
I heard from discussions went along the lines of "I'm not going to buy the
computer unless I get the install disks."  But then again that was from
techies, and not Joe Blow.  Personally when I buy a system I make sure the
install disks are included, and if I bought a new system today, I would make
darned sure that the company knows that I won't accept the system without
the install disks for all software (not only MS is doing this).  For me,
it's a major point (for some reason more major than the processor or Ram).
I, and many others feel that we've paid for the install disks with the
system.

   My .02,

      Ryan