RE: Chat Rooms

by "Paul Rudolf" <paul(at)ntyc.net>

 Date:  Thu, 21 Oct 1999 13:40:48 -0700
 To:  "Jake Moore" <moore(at)rebeltrail.com>,
<hwg-software(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Jake!

If you are running your own server, you may want to take a look at
http://www.infochat.com .  The set-up is easy, and seems to run quite well.
I believe this software is packaged with both Linux and NT versions.  This
program is Java (not JavaScript) based.

On the other hand, there are a lot of cgi based chat-rooms available.  One
that I started playing with a while ago, is by Selena Sol, now at
http://www.extropia.com .  These scripts are written in perl and will
require you server have perl installed.

There are many JavaScript chat-room packages available, but nowadays, it
seems as if a lot of users are getting worried about security and disabling
JavaScript.

paul