RE: New Browser (move it to hwg-software?)

by "Mario Figueiredo" <marfig(at)ebonet.net>

 Date:  Mon, 19 Oct 1998 15:10:48 -0000
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>,
"Nancy" <jnwhittley(at)fuse.net>
 Cc:  "HWG Software" <hwg-software(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>Hello Group,
>
>Well on further investigation this uses a lot of MSIE components..
>Hum..  Well you guys read up on it and give me your opinions
>if you try it...

It's not "a lot", it's more "all of them"!

>Earlier I wrote:
>I stumbled upon a discovery.  A new toy.  So I though about it
>and decided to share...  It is a new browser.  It seems real nice.
>and for such a small download does a lot of cool things.
>And I say hey we can use it in testing our sites.  Nice to see
>another new browser on the market.  Oh and it is free.
>there should be a link at the bottom of this email.

The problem it's that Neoplanet it's just a new face to IE. It's even
compatible with version 3.0. I tried it on two machines, one with IE4 and
the other with IE3.
It encapsulates all of IE features giving it only a new face. Not much for a
browser, this is. It's more like a front-end for IE. In the IE3 machine,
when i choose the Options button and click on "IE Settings" (this command
says it all) it shows me the IE3 Settings Dialog Box, and on the IE4
machine, the IE4's.

Because of this, unfortunately, this is not a browser for the competition.
It will only encapsulate IE features. It will not deliver true standards
compliance, for instance. Also, you'll have to have IE installed to install
and use Neoplanet. Otherwise you can't.

>I have to say it loaded up my homepage a lot faster than Netscape
>or MI does.  I am going to really run this bower.  If it does as good
>as it feels like it will I may use this all the time.  Have fun.

I didn't notice anything like that on it. It's just as fast as the others.

Regards,
Mario Figueiredo