Re: Manuals created in Word - Posting on the Web

by "Ray Whiting" <rwhiting(at)bellsouth.net>

 Date:  Wed, 29 Dec 1999 17:09:22 -0600
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>,
<hwg-software(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
As I understand it, this only works in MS Internet Explorer, and only if you
already have Word (or a Word reader) on your computer.   Won't work in
Netscape, as I understand it.

Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 15:49:05 -0600

Hi. I sent an e-mail earlier today stating that I am working on converting a
manual that was created in Word 97 (using a template, styles, & autotext)
over to HTML.  If I save the document as an HTML file and open it in
FrontPage 2000, the format is very garbled.  Extra tags are listed along
with a great deal of empty space/lines.

I was looking at a website where one of their links opens a word document
(saved in doc format) instead of an HTML document.  For an example, click:
http://www.stc.org/region4/chi/www/pub/index.shtml
<http://www.stc.org/region4/chi/www/pub/index.shtml> .  Navigate to the
bottom where it says, "October Issue" and click on the link.  Instead of
being in HTML format, the link is a Word document.

I tested linking my FrontPage file to one of my manuals created via Word
(still saved as a doc extension) & everything worked.  Has anyone done this
before or ran across any problem doing this.  Thanks.