RE: related but still OT (Re: Download of Outlook98

by "Suzanne Corcorran" <suzanne(at)4thefx.com>

 Date:  Fri, 6 Nov 1998 10:39:10 -0600
 To:  "Ray S. Whiting" <rwhiting(at)bellsouth.net>
 Cc:  "HWG - Software LISTSERV" <hwg-software(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Since the network administrator can view anything on the network she/he
wishes to (unless you have NT or UNIX OS and you have edited the policies so
that only you can get into it...which is complicated and most people don't
know how to set this up), this question really doesn't matter in regards to
a networked environment.  I would have concerns if it was a problem that
allowed the "world" to see your entire hard drive when you were networked to
the Internet, but that is not the case.

BTW, just for general information:

Windows 95/98 is NOT secure in any shape, fashion, or sense.  Anyone who
knows what they are doing can hack into your computer both from sitting down
in front of it and from connecting to it through a Microsoft or Novell
Network.  If you want security, use Windows NT or UNIX as your OS, and for
NT, buy the book "Windows NT Secrets" and learn how to disable all of the
available entries, save your own.  UNIX is more difficult to work with, but
is more secure and more stable than NT.

As for your email being secure, if you are connecting to an Exchange Server,
a Lotus Notes Server, etc., etc. in a networked environment, then the
administrators for the email can see all of your mail, as well.

Hope this clears up some items, and warns all of you to keep your personal
email <ahem> personal (most ISPs don't have the time to watch 100,000 emails
a day), and use your business email for business only.

Cheers,
Suzanne