Re: Site manager

by "Dewey Landrum" <dlandru(at)magnolia.net>

 Date:  Wed, 13 Jan 1999 19:45:29 -0600
 To:  <hwg-software(at)hwg.org>,
<eric(at)hiredgun-webservices.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At the risk of receiving more hate and flame mail, I agree with Ray Whiting.
FrontPage can do all of these things relatively easy and is not much more
complicated to use than Word.

For the site manager part, the FP explorer lets you visually see how your
site is constructed and allows for global updates, dragging and dropping
pages or moving them to desired locations to change the site structure.

The 'include page' command makes changing articles for monthly columns a
snap.

Use Word97 to save the article as an html file if it doesn't need any
formatting.  Import it into FP and use the include command.

For the banner adds, you can program in the time frames that your want the
adds to appear and FP will change the adds out on those dates/times.

Forms are very easy to generate for use in databases or email.  Database
import directly into FP.

You should probably install a logging file in the cgi-bin because all FP
offers is a counter.

Password protected areas can be done but in most cases the actually login
page must be in the Root of the Web.

Using the FP SDK is necessary to create custom layouts and themes beyond
what FP has, although FP does have about 20 templated layouts that you can
mix and match.  The SDK is included on the CD with instructions.  The
instructions are kind of confusing, but if you can play with it, it's pretty
simple to use.

The only major problem I have with FP is that the personal web server you
have to run can become corrupt if you use several types of protocols to
communicate with different types of networks (NDISWAN, TCP/IP, MVPNA, VNA
and the associated clients).  To resolve this problem, use control panel
network manager to delete the Personal Web Server and re-install it.  You
don't lose your webs but you have to re-recognize them with in the PWS.

Microsoft support has been excellent for all FP problems I have had, which
wasn't many.

The only other draw back to FP is all the hate mail you get from certain HWG
members everytime you mention FP.

-Dewey Landrum