Re: ^M's being inserted at line end

by "Ben Z. Tels" <optimusb(at)stack.nl>

 Date:  Thu, 30 Apr 1998 19:59:22 +0200
 To:  <hwg-software(at)hwg.org>,
"Judith Berman" <webmaster(at)katsation.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
The problem is between UNIX and the Microsoft OS'es.

DOS' and the different Windows' charachter sets encode a line break as
<CR><LF>, two characters.
UNIX systems encode line breaks by a single <LF>. So on UNIX, if you
transmit it a <CR><LF>, it gets read as <CR>
newline.....

And the <CR> shows up as ^M.

The cure, when uploading, is to make sure you are transmitting the textfile
as an ASCII file. There is a set of radio buttons in WS_FTP to choose
between ASCII and binary transmission. Make sure to use ASCII for text.

You can also access the configuration of WS_FTP through the options button;
on the extensions tab, you can set a list of file extensions, whose attached
files will automatically be transmitted as ascii files. It might be useful
to add .html and .htm to that list, so you cannot forget to transmit them as
ascii.

Ben Z. Tels
optimusb(at)stack.nl
http://www.stack.nl/~optimusb/

"The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle
forever."
                                                    --Tsiolkovsky