Re: HTML coding and UNIX

by "Ben Z. Tels" <optimusb(at)stack.nl>

 Date:  Wed, 5 May 1999 20:09:30 +0200
 To:  "Nell" <mickey(at)kootenay.net>,
<hwg-software(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> I have encountered some problems with cgi bins and canned codes.
> Apparently, editing cgi scripting within Notepad and other editors will
> insert spacing and line breaks which then affects the operation of
> scripting.  I was told there was an html editor out there which provided
> an option to save the document specifically for a Unix server, etc.  If
> I recall, the name of the editor started with a 'U'.  Any ideas?

As others have suggested, it might be UltraEdit.

However, here's another suggestion (since I've never had any of the sorts of
problems you describe):
make sure that when you upload the scripts back to your unix-server, you
upload them as ASCII test and not as binary data. Uploading them as binary
data doesn't insert anything, but it fails to remove carriage-return
characters. On Unix, those characters have no meaning in the filing system
and could interfere with the parser that processes your scripts.

Ben Z. Tels
optimusb(at)stack.nl
http://www.stack.nl/~optimusb/
UIN:2474460

"The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle
forever."
                                        --Tsiolkovsky