Re: Outlook Express/IE (mailto limitation) [RESEND)

by "Joshua Graham" <jagraham(at)ozemail.com.au>

 Date:  Thu, 18 Mar 1999 11:57:52 +1000
 To:  <hwg-software(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>In this case, we have a group of 25 email addresses
>Netscape and NeoPlanet browsers do not have this problem when 25 email
>addresses have been entered in the HTML MAILTO instructions.
>Does anyone have a suggestion on how to overcome the problem for those
using
>MSIE 4.0 as their browser?

Leo, as with any client compatibility issue, look for alternate methods.

In this case, I'd suggest you move to a server-based mail sending package.
Some basic PERL CGI scripts are readily available to use command-line mail
tools.

Pros:
1) Cut down the fantastically long URL you have in your mailto: anchor
2) Hides all mail addresses to help stop junk mail
3) Client does not need an email program at all
4) HTTP REFERRER can be checked to help cut down malicious spamming attacks
Cons:
1) You need a server to handle the mailing program (ASP or CGI or other)

If you are not able to use a server for this, I suggest setting up a single
mail alias that holds the list of addresses to be notified. Majordomo,
listserv, Exchange, there are plenty around - even free/cheap Internet one
that'll let you set up a mail list on their server.

In this case, you just need one mail address in the mailto. If, however, you
are also using large subject or other parameters in the query string, you
may still hit your client-specific limits.

Pros:
1) Cut down the fantastically long URL you have in your mailto: anchor
2) Hides all mail addresses (except the list address)
Cons:
3) You need a mail list server
4) The client needs an email program

Be wary of slapping on a sendmail daemon (older ones have security issues).
You only need the server-based command line utility.

Hope this gives you an idea.

Joshua Graham
Graham Information Science Pty Ltd
jagraham(at)ozemail.com.au