Re: Switching to Windows NT

by "Ben Z. Tels" <optimusb(at)stack.nl>

 Date:  Tue, 4 Aug 1998 14:55:16 +0200
 To:  <bzabor19(at)idt.net>,
<hwg-software(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Sure there is. For starters, it needs more resources (more memory, more
processor).
Second, you can forget about alot of your old DOS-based software. Any games
you have are probably out too (even the Win95 ones; in fact, ESPECIALLY the
Win95 ones).

Second, if you ever have an error during the boot sequence that causes a
stop condition, you'll never get back in (you can't boot NT from disk); they
say you have an Emergency Repair Disk, but it's never worked for me. All you
can do is reinstall.
And of course, if it DOES crash, any data you have in an NTFS-filing system
(drive, partition, what have you) is locked away. Nothing except NT can read
NTFS, so if you have to reinstall, all you can do is hope your data will
still be there when you get back online.

Also, I wonder about that stability. I just went back to Windows95 from NT
after NT stopped working on my system 3 times within two weeks. Of course,
for all I know, it's a problem caused by the new Media Player (which I had
downloaded and installed every time). But still......

Ben Z. Tels
optimusb(at)stack.nl
http://www.stack.nl/~optimusb/
UIN:2474460

"The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle
forever."
                                        --Tsiolkovsky