Re: Switching to Windows NT

by "Ben Z. Tels" <optimusb(at)stack.nl>

 Date:  Thu, 6 Aug 1998 14:06:16 +0200
 To:  <hwg-software(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
-----Original Message-----
From: Robin S. Socha <r.socha(at)control-risks.de>
To: hwg-software(at)hwg.org <hwg-software(at)hwg.org>
Date: donderdag 6 augustus 1998 7:24
Subject: Re: Switching to Windows NT

>That'll be "irresistable" for you, Sir.

Or "irrelevant". Or "irritating". As the case may be.

>Pathetic. Kernel panics don't happen out of the blue, the only ones
>I've seen with stable kernel releases of Linux so far were due to
>broken hardware. And does NT do coredumps? No? Too bad, isn't it?

It can, if you set it up to. That's what Dr.Watson is for; it's 95/NT's
utility for generating/reviewing core dumps as necessary.

>Very funny, David. Tell me: what is the reason for this? Could it be
>that NT is not a networking OS? Yes, David, this could in fact be.

It could be. Or it could be that in this case NT has only been set upt to
facilitate the connection between several different computers. A so-called
peer-to-peer network. However, if you really wish, you can have a whole set
of terminals which run their programs off of the server's shared disk(s) as
well. So that if the server goes down, nobody can work anymore. And you can
ALSO connect alot of dumb NetPC's or whatever the hell they're called and
have them working COMPLETELY off the server. And they will completely crash
if the server goes down.

Now tell me.... does this make you any happier?

>NT
>is, face it, a dirty little hack that provides primitive file- and
>print-services.

No more or less primitive that what you would find on Solaris 2.5.1 or even
on FreeBSD 2.2.6-stable . You can share drives, or parts of them. You can
protect drives, or parts of them. You can allow people to make use of a
device (printer, modem, external T3 connection, what have you) or not. Not
dissimilar to what most of the well-known Unix-flavors do. You will find, in
fact, that NT is quite a capable OS.

>There are no applications that can be run off the
>server like under Unix.

Ridiculous. Any user can run any program from any disk that he has at least
reading rights for.

>> Oh my god! Is this true? Quick guys, shut down the company. Our entire
>> business has been operating for years on software that doesn't exist!
>> How did we miss this? Close the web site... apparantly it's a figment
>> of our imagination :-(
>
>No, David. Apparently, you've been paying a FAT lot of money for 3rd
>part and additional software.

Don't be stupid. He just said he's been running a business off of the
server-software included with NT.

>It merely grinned at this:
>
><http://www.kens.com/robin/links.html>. From my own experience and all
>statistics except those in magazines practically owned by Microsoft,
>most U*ices have outperformed NT as a server. Easily. Yes, Linux and
>BSD, too, and they are f-r-e-e, as in "yes, I didn't pay anything" or
>"look, Ma, I got the sources and can be 100% sure the content of my
>disk is not being sent off to Mircosoft".

Very good. Any credibility you had, you just threw out the window with that
last remark. Content of the disk being sent to Microsoft..... Very good
young man, A for effort, D for preparation. Now run along home.

Ben Z. Tels
optimusb(at)stack.nl
http://www.stack.nl/~optimusb/
UIN:2474460

"The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle
forever."
                                        --Tsiolkovsky