Re: FrontPage Date Format

by "Michael Tompkins" <mtompkin(at)pacbell.net>

 Date:  Thu, 19 Mar 1998 11:48:36 -0800
 To:  "Gavin Jones" <gavinj(at)montal.co.uk>
 Cc:  <hwg-software(at)hwg.org>

------=_NextPart_000_0085_01BD532C.F3FAAC80

-----Original Message-----
From: Gavin Jones <gavinj(at)montal.co.uk>
Subject: FrontPage Date Format
....... is now my responsibility) has the "Response Date" field checked. =
This is fine except that we are in England and would like the date in an =
English format (dd/mm/yy) and not the other format (mm/dd/yy)..
---------------

Gavin

Your Subject referred to FrontPage so here goes.  I have been using =
FrontPage 98 since summer '97 (yes, I admit that I was a beta tester), =
so this is what I would do.

Using the FrontPage Editor , open the HTML dataset with the date "form" =
(I assume your mean the automatically updated date/time stamp, not just =
todays date).  You do not need the FrontPage Explorer program active to =
do editing, the Editor and the Explorer programs are separate.  =
Highlight the date form that you want to replace, click Insert and then =
Timestamp on the tool bar, click the pop-up bar for Date Format and you =
will find a number of variations of day.month.year, click one.  Click =
the radio button for when you want this date to be updated, Display, and =
then click OK.

I have a couple things that might make the editor easier to use:
a.. Using the desktop explorer, click the right mouse button on the =
Start button on the Task Bar and open explorer, open the directory that =
is probably called Microsoft FrontPage, unless you changed the name, I =
almost always change the name to keep the versions separate.  Notice the =
short cuts tucked right under the directory.  Copy the Front page Editor =
short cut and drag it to your desktop.  Then you can open as many =
editors as you want without going though the FrontPage Explorer.  A =
couple more key strokes and you can make shortcuts for each dataset you =
are working on so they will automatically open.
    b.. In the above directions for updating the date/stamp form, using =
the left mouse button double click on the date form twice and the editor =
will go directly to the proper form handler, i.e.. timestamp, without =
having to go through the tool bar.
    c.. Word, with the install of FrontPage, will also edit HTML as text =
and web-view but Word has a different date insert form.  I find =
FrontPage Editor's date form more useful on the web.
   =20
    One more word on FrontPage. Gavin, this is a general comment, not =
towards your question.  I am a programmer and use developmental =
environments for my Java and C programming.  I still edit the code =
directly but I also use the developmental environments for maintaining =
the programs in groups or systems and speeding my development time and =
productivity.  Well, FrontPage is a developmental environmental tool for =
HTML and scripts.  I do not feel that I am less of a programmer because =
I use my Borland C or InstantBasic for Java developer tools.  I see =
FrontPage the same way.  As a productivity tool.  The tool was made to =
make me faster and, yes, I can develop tighter pages without it but it =
takes me lots longer. Ask a programmer what they think of the tightness =
of the code developed by a development environment versus what they =
could make with Notepad.  Their answer would be something like, "who has =
the time to do that?"  But if there is a bug, they can edit directly and =
fix it without the tool.

Oh, yes, there are somethings that I have not taken the time to make =
from scratch, like time stamp, or "linkage" cross checking and FrontPage =
provides them.

Michael Tompkins
mtompkin(at)pacbell.net
NetProgramming(at)HotMail.com

------=_NextPart_000_0085_01BD532C.F3FAAC80

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>-----Original Message-----<BR>From: =
Gavin Jones=20
&lt;<A =
href=3D"mailto:gavinj(at)montal.co.uk">gavinj(at)montal.co.uk</A>&gt;<BR>Subjec=
t:=20
FrontPage Date Format<BR></FONT>....... is now my responsibility) has =
the=20
&quot;Response Date&quot; field checked. This is fine except that we are =
in=20
England and would like the date in an English format (dd/mm/yy) and not =
the=20
other format (mm/dd/yy)..<BR>---------------&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"" size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"" size=3D3>Gavin</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"" size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"" size=3D3>Your Subject referred to FrontPage so here =
goes.&nbsp;=20
I have been using FrontPage 98 since summer '97 (yes, I admit that I was =
a beta=20
tester), so this is what I would do.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"" size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"" size=3D3>Using the FrontPage Editor , open the HTML =
dataset=20
with the date &quot;form&quot; (I assume your mean the automatically =
updated=20
date/time stamp, not just todays date).&nbsp; You do not need the =
FrontPage=20
Explorer program active to do editing, the Editor and the Explorer =
programs are=20
separate.&nbsp; H<FONT color=3D#000000>ighlight </FONT>the date form =
that you want=20
to replace, click <EM>Insert </EM>and then <EM>Timestamp</EM> on the =
tool bar,=20
click the pop-up bar for <EM>Date Format </EM>and you will find a number =
of=20
variations of day.month.year, click one.&nbsp; Click the radio button =
for when=20
you want this date to be updated, <EM>Display</EM>, and then click=20
OK.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"" size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"" size=3D3>I have a couple things that might make the =
editor=20
easier to use:</FONT></DIV>
<UL>
    <LI><FONT face=3D"" size=3D3></FONT><FONT color=3D#000000><FONT =
size=3D3>Using the=20
    desktop <FONT color=3D#000000>explorer</FONT>, click the right mouse =
button on=20
    the <EM>Start</EM> button on the <EM>Task Bar </EM>and open =
explorer, open=20
    the directory that is probably called Microsoft FrontPage, unless =
you=20
    changed the name, I almost always change the name to keep the =
versions=20
    separate.&nbsp; Notice the short cuts tucked right under the=20
    directory.&nbsp; Copy the Front page Editor short cut and drag it to =
your=20
    desktop.&nbsp; Then you can open as many editors as you want without =
going=20
    though the FrontPage Explorer.&nbsp; A couple more key strokes and =
you can=20
    make shortcuts for each dataset you are working on so they will=20
    automatically open.</FONT></FONT><FONT size=3D3></FONT></LI>
    <LI><FONT size=3D3><FONT color=3D#000000>In the above directions for =
updating=20
    the date/stamp form, using the left mouse button double click on the =
date=20
    form twice and the editor will go directly to the proper form =
handler, <FONT=20
    color=3D#000000 size=3D2>i.e.</FONT>. timestamp, without having to =
go through=20
    the tool bar.</FONT></FONT></LI>
    <LI><FONT face=3D"" size=3D3><FONT size=3D3>Word, with the install =
of FrontPage,=20
    will also edit HTML as text and web-view but Word has a different =
date=20
    insert form.&nbsp; I find FrontPage Editor's date form more useful =
on the=20
    web.<BR></FONT></FONT></LI></UL>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"" size=3D3></FONT><FONT color=3D#000000><FONT =
size=3D3>One more word=20
on FrontPage. Gavin, this is a general comment, not towards your =
question.&nbsp;=20
I am <FONT size=3D3>a programmer and use developmental environments for =
my Java=20
and C programming.&nbsp; I still edit the code directly but I also use =
the=20
developmental environments for maintaining the programs in groups or =
systems and=20
speeding my development time and productivity.&nbsp; Well, FrontPage is =
a=20
developmental environmental tool for HTML and scripts.&nbsp; I do not =
feel that=20
I am less of a programmer because I use my Borland C or InstantBasic for =
Java=20
developer tools.&nbsp; I see FrontPage the same way.&nbsp; As a =
productivity=20
tool.&nbsp; The tool was made to make me faster and, yes, I can develop =
tighter=20
pages without it but it takes me lots longer. Ask a programmer what they =
think=20
of the tightness of the code developed by a development <FONT=20
color=3D#000000>environment </FONT>versus what they could make with =
Notepad.&nbsp;=20
Their answer would be something like, &quot;who has the time to do=20
that?&quot;&nbsp; But if there is a bug, they can edit directly and fix =
it=20
without the tool.</FONT></FONT></FONT><FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000><FONT size=3D3></FONT></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000><FONT size=3D3>Oh, yes, there are somethings =
that I have=20
not taken the time to make from scratch, like time stamp, or =
&quot;linkage&quot;=20
cross checking and FrontPage provides them.</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"" size=3D3>Michael Tompkins</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"" size=3D3></FONT><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"mailto:mtompkin(at)pacbell.net">mtompkin(at)pacbell.net</A></FONT></DIV=

<DIV><FONT face=3D"" size=3D3><A=20
href=3D"mailto:NetProgramming(at)HotMail.com">NetProgramming(at)HotMail.com</A>=
</FONT><BR>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0085_01BD532C.F3FAAC80--