Re: offline browser

by "David Meadows" <david(at)goldenheroes.softnet.co.uk>

 Date:  Wed, 29 Jul 1998 19:44:27 +0100
 To:  "Markus B. Pirchner" <m.b.pirchner(at)pirchner.co.at>,
<hwg-software(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Markus B. Pirchner <m.b.pirchner(at)pirchner.co.at> wrote:
>Guess I have to explain it in detail:

>What I'll have to do is to distribute a bunch of HTML-files an CD-ROM
to people who
>might not have a web browser installed on their computers. Those
HTML-files use
>tables, frames, javascript and maybe a bit of CSS.
>As I do not want those people to force to install a web browser they
otherwise
>wouldn't need I'd like to give them a chance to just insert the CD-ROM
and have
>things going.
>So I'm looking for an offline web browser that works from a CD-ROM.

I don't think that it's possible (but I hope someone will tell me if it
is...), but a compromise might be to install the smallest browser you
can, so it doesn't upset their system too much. Just explain to the user
that this will have to be done in order to access your documents.

In fact, I would recommend supplying the "Stealth" installation of IE4,
which Microsoft developed specifically for this purpose.

I think that people are more willing to do this than you think. For
example, I have seen plenty of documentation in PDF format that includes
Acrobat Reader on the CD... and of course you have to install the reader
before you can use it.

Ok, it's not perfect, but it is normal practice in the industry. In
fact, it should be encouraged! If everybody included a browser on their
CD, you would have to worry less and less about people not having one!
Think about it...

-----
David Meadows [ Technical Writer | Information Developer ]
DNRC Minister for Littorasy * david(at)goldenheroes.softnet.co.uk

"I'm tired of the bombs, I'm tired of the bullets
 I'm tired of the crazies on TV
 I'm the aviator, A dream's a dream whatever it seems."
 -- Ian Gillan, "The Aviator"