Re: Dreaming of an editor

by "David Meadows" <david(at)goldenheroes.softnet.co.uk>

 Date:  Fri, 4 Sep 1998 21:41:11 +0100
 To:  <hwg-software(at)hwg.org>,
"Kersti Anear" <kanear(at)pacificaccess.com.au>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Kersti Anear <kanear(at)pacificaccess.com.au> writes:

>I'm dreaming of an editor I wonder if you know it... It has the
following
>features:

Microsoft Visual InterDev will do most of this.

>- text based
Yes

>- user configurable colour coding of html elements
Yes

>- automatic indenting of nested elements to user
>configurable tab width
Yes

>- menus for placing some code (ie special characters)
> when I can't be bothered trying to remember
Yes. Menus, toolbar buttons, or keyboard shortcuts. User
configurable.

>- no whysiwyg anything
Oh, sorry, you get WYSIWYG :-(
You don't have to use it though -- I don't!

>- html help
What do you mean? If you mean, "includes on-line help in HTML Help
format", then yes. If you mean "produces compiled HTML Help", then
no, not in InterDev 1. But the HTML Help complier is a free
download anyway.
Also, I think the HTML Help compiler will probably ship with
InterDev 6 (I can't confirm this just now).

>- alerts when I close off an img tag and forget to put in
> height, width or alt (to a user configurable level so if I
>choose not to be alerted about alt tags I can do that)
Hmm... never tried this. I don't think it does, but you could
write a validation macro that would check a page for this sort of
omission. Actually, that's a good idea. I might try it :-)

>- a status bar down the bottom that lets me know what
>tags haven't been closed yet (anyone out there ever
>program in Scheme?)
No, but if you don't close a tag it is coloured as an error, and
the following tags are also coloured differently, so you can see
it pretty easily.

InterDev will do far, far more than this, but you pay for it (in
$$$ and in hardware requirements). If this is all you want,
InterDev may be overkill and you may want to look at something
smaller and cheaper.

Still, if I was allowed to keep only one piece of software on this
computer, I *think* InterDev is what I would choose. Maybe.
Perhaps...

--
David Meadows [ Technical Writer | Information Developer ]
DNRC Minister for Littorasy * david(at)goldenheroes.softnet.co.uk