Re: [Re: formatting html code]

by Raymond Vazquez <r.j.vazquez(at)usa.net>

 Date:  25 Mar 99 16:03:44 EST
 To:  Kayla Block <kblock(at)placeware.com>,
hwg-software(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Kayla Block <kblock(at)placeware.com> wrote:

> I haven't seen this documented anywhere and much of it seems to be
> idiosyncratic. But one of my co-workers writes the most beautiful html =
I've
> ever seen so I have learned to use his as a role model. (He also writes=
 the
> prettiest Java and Javascript code I've ever seen.)
> =

> He uses an indent space of 2 for html. (Other programming languages usu=
ally
> use 4 but the nature of html makes an indent of 4 unwieldy.) Any contai=
ner
> tags are on their own separate line. The contents between the open and
> close tag are on a separate line and also indented by 2 spaces. This wa=
y of
> writing html usually makes problems become pretty obvious.
> =

> I can type in an example better than I can explain it:
> =

>         <b>
>           Here is some text.
>         </b>
>       Here is some more text.
>       And yet more text.
> =

Kayla:

In theory, I agree with you and your co-worker.  The two-space indent is
better suited to HTML than four.  The only difficulty I have with youe ex=
ample
is many UA's (including most versions of IE and NN/C) will insert extra s=
pace
before and after content of <td> if they are on there own line. Not a big=
 deal
for text, but when you use a table to piece an image back together, it's =
problem.  Just my two cents...

Raymond Vazquez
r.j.vazquez(at)usa.net - Home/Personal
raymond(at)rga.com - Work/Professional