Re: WYSIWYG

by "Captain F.M. O'Lary" <webmaster(at)canopy.net>

 Date:  Sat, 21 Feb 1998 08:31:09 -0500
 To:  AndieDunne(at)aol.com
 Cc:  hwg-software(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Annie,

Just MHO (and a few years of experience).

You are learning from a VERY bad teacher. Take the time and trouble to:

1) Go to pages that have design elements you want to learn how to recreate.

2) View the source code. If it says "made by XXX editor", find another page
to view.

3) Copy and paste the element you want to create on your own into a blank
.html document.

4) Adjust the code to achieve the _exact_ presentation you want (reference
your "book" - provided it's based on a _standard_ for the language ((NOT
"publishing for Netscrape" or Microsnot's "how to 'do' the web".)) )

5) Copy and paste *that* into the document you want to present.

Trust me, it'll:
	A) Teach you REAL html faster and more effectively
	B) Give you a much better sense of accomplishment, knowing that you have
learned the REAL way html works.

HTH, Fuzzy.

At 02:59 AM 2/21/98 EST, you wrote:
>Personally, I would prefer a WYSIWYG editor that lets me switch between the
>layout and the HTML editor.  Since I'm still a beginner and I'm more visually
>oriented (that, and HTML coding makes my skin crawl, since I'm still a
>beginner!), I'm finding it much easier to put the pages together using pull-
>down menus and such, then going to the HTML coding and fine-tuning.
>
>However, since I'm trying more advanced things, I'm using the HTML before,
>looking at the results, then going back to HTML for repairs.  For example,
I'm