Re: Should I use EMACS?

by Kayla Block <kblock(at)placeware.com>

 Date:  Mon, 15 Jun 1998 10:50:20 -0700
 To:  "Robin S. Socha" <robin(at)franck.pc.uni-koeln.de>,
hwg-webapps(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>Not. Emacs and XEmacs <http://www.xemacs.org/> are nowhere near a CLI
>tool. Recent versions of XEmacs (which, I'm afraid don't run under
>Dos95, but do run under NT if you got a C-compiler) are very much
>clicky-clicky including a user-interface for customizing.

Scuse me but the amount of menu driven interface you get with ANY version
of emacs is not really enough interface to make the thing menu driven.

>Business as usual. Never think the user to be stupid, but merely lost
>and confused. Word is *not* easy to use just because you can chase

<sarcasm>And thank you so much for educating us.</sarcasm>
Emacs is not a tool that most people would appreciate. That does not have
anything to do with stupidity, nor does it have anything to do with being
lost and confused.

I happen to appreciate the power of Emacs, but I'm also the type of person
who feels pretty comfy in CLI environments. For me, Emacs is a tool, not a
religion, and I certainly don't think that the world needs to be converted.

Regards,
Kayla (who happens to also like the dancing paper clip thankyouverymuch)