Re: about Frontpage - Dreamweaver's gorgeous!

by tad davis <taddavis(at)interport.net>

 Date:  Tue, 10 Feb 1998 17:01:36 -0500
 To:  hwg-software(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi all.

I've found Hotmetal to be one of the best as well, unfortunately, if I've
carefully hand coded some intricate table or something, it tends to screw
up my work. But if I start with Hotmetal and then do my handcoding outside
of it, I love it.

I've heard nothing but wonderful things about Dreamweaver, but in my
opinion, it has one fatal flaw: I find that switching between HTML and
WYSIWIG modes and saving all takes an EXTREMELY long time, whereas in
Notepad or other such text-only editors, the save and switch (to a browser)
is nearly instantaneous.

Anyone else noticed this?

tad

At 07:49 AM 2/10/98 -0700, you wrote:
>> I don't understand why Dreamweaver seems to be the only visual editor that
>> gets all the good press. IMO, HoTMetaL Pro 4.0 by SoftQuad is a much more
>> usable visual editor which is tightly integrated and generates clean, easy
>> to read source code that is automagically nicely indented.
>
>Kayla,
>
>I demo'd HotMetal Pro 4.0 recently and did not like it at all.
>
>Instead of giving me <P> tags when ever I made a hard line break, it
>stacked two <BR> tags.
>
>And it had a major fault in its create tables program (I'd ask for a
>table with 2 columns and 2 rows,
>and it would give one table of two columns and 2 rows, inside the top
>left-hand cell of
>another table of 2 columns 2 rows. I had to go into the code and
>actually fix more stuff
>that I do with FrontPage 98) These are some of the reasons why I decided
>not to purchage HotMetal Pro 4.0.
>
>(I'm currently demoing Dreamweaver, but my favorite editor for straight
>code editing is the
>Agile HTML editor ... nothing WYSIWYG about it and it complies with the
>W3Cs HTML 4.0 reccomendation!)
>
>Just my $0.02
>
>Gabi

                          Tad's JavaScript Poetry Generator:
             http://www.users.interport.net/~taddavis/pomset.htm
  * * * Just because I have a short attention span doesn't mean I * * *