Re: FrontPage Uploading ALARMING NEWS

by Curtis and Donna Oakley-Jones <oakleaf(at)airmail.net>

 Date:  Wed, 18 Feb 1998 13:34:12 -0800
 To:  hwg-software(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
I sent this inquiry to my internet provider for help with uploading
websites created in FrontPage 98.   (IMHO this is a top drawer service
provider.  Many years of no problems with them.)  Is this a trend?  Wish I
hadn't just spent the $150 bucks to order FrontPage if this is the status quo!
I wrote:
>>Hi, I have a personal homepage with you guys.  I've used popular FTP
>>programs to upload it.  I just started fooling with FrontPage '98 and it is
>>giving me problems when I go to upload (or "publish" as it says).  It said
>>something like my server didn't have the right FrontPage extensions or
some such.  Can you enlighten me?  Donna
----- Their reply -----

>We do not support Front Page extensions. This reason behind this is that
>there are some serious security risks with this application. Microsoft has
>acknowledged this but has yet to do anything to remedy the situation. We
>will support this program when we are confident that this will not cause a
>problem with reliability on our servers.
>--
>Internet America Electronic Support
>Technical Support/Sales: 214.861.2999 * [Metro] 972.263.2950
>Systems Status line: 214.861.2NOC (2662) * 888.382.1300

Donna Oakley-Jones
Oakleaf Shelties
http://web2.airmail.net/oakleaf