Re: Web Promotion Tools

by David Moninger <David.Moninger(at)IslandTime.com>

 Date:  Wed, 25 Feb 1998 18:47:05 -0500
 To:  Webapps <hwg-webapps(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Once you get beyond the major 8 to 16 search engines, you're primarily
dealing with "free for all pages".  In my experience, many of these sites
exist just to grab your email address so you can be spammed!

Better exposure can be gotten, but with more work, by searching for
directories in the industry/application/special interest area that your
site falls in.

david

At 04:00 PM 2/25/98 -0500, James Pasmantier wrote:
>Dennis,
>
>Thanks for the advice.  I do have a follow up question.  I
>have added my site to 16 of the main search engines, but
>these web promotion tools suggest that they will make your
>site available through several hundred engines which I
>wouldn't have the time nor desire to hunt down.  Odds are
>over half of them wouldn't bring me one hit, but to spend
>$50 to get my site (and others down the road) that exposure
>I think would be worth it.
>What are your thoughts?
>
>James Pasmantier
>parm(at)erols.com
>http://www.cdsc.org
>

>Dennis M. Thielen wrote:
>>
>> James Pasmantier wrote:
>>
>> > Does anyone have any opinions as to the most capable web
>> > promotion tool to add your site to search engines?  I have
>> > heard of AddWeb, Web Promotion Spider, and Submit Wolf as
>> > being respectable in the field and would appreciate any
>> > reviews of these or other products.
>>
>> The very best tools of all for you to use are a combination of good Meta
>> Keywords and adding yourself to the various search engines. You can pay
>> various "spammers" for the dubious honor of them doing it for you. Or
>> you can boldly go where you've never gone before and do it yourself! One
>> thing I should caution, however is that there is no guarantee that
>> submitting your website address will bring people flocking to your
>> website. The search engines are a service to list and search for
>> websites in various categories and subjects. They are not a promotional
>> service... If you want to promote anything, you'll have to advertise...
>>
>> Dennis
>>
>>   ------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>>   Dennis M. Thielen <rhogast(at)tcgcs.com>
>>
>>   Dennis M. Thielen
>>     <rhogast(at)tcgcs.com>
>>     HTML Mail
>>     Netscape Conference Address
>>     Netscape Conference DLS Server
>>   Additional Information:
>>   Last Name
>>   First NameDennis M. Thielen
>>   Version   2.1

   David.Moninger(at)IslandTime.com
         provides Computer Consulting ... from the Beach
  <> Internet Marketing Strategies & Web Sites by david <>
 Accessing the World from the Sands of Indian Rocks Beach, FL