Re: Please help me with Opera!!!

by Jan Theodore Galkowski <jtgalkowski(at)alum.mit.edu>

 Date:  Sun, 17 Jan 1999 12:15:24 -0500
 To:  Niners Rock <cwbysuck(at)yahoo.com>
 Cc:  hwg-webapps(at)hwg.org, Niners_Rock(at)bigfoot.com
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 12:46 PM 1/16/99 -0800, Niners Rock wrote:
>Hi. I currently have MSIE 3.02a and I downloaded Opera 3.50 Final. I
>have a 486SX computer with 8 megs of RAM and running Windows 3.1 . I
>installed Opera and then I tried to get online and it said that it
>couldn't connect to the ISP or something. Because Opera doesn't have a
>dialup package like MSIE (TCP/IP) I have no way of connecting to my
>ISP. Also, I don't have any kind of dialer package. If anyone has
>Opera and knows how to connect to an ISP, please help me solve this
>problem. PLEASE HELP ME if you know how to do this.

If you're running Win 3.1, be sure you have the 16-bit version of
Opera.  Then look for a "winsock.dll" using the search-for-files
("search") option in File Manager.  Be sure you don't have two of
them on the system.  ("winsock.dll" comes with Win 3.1.)  Be sure
the directory where this is located is on the PATH statement within
your "autoexec.bat" file.  (If you change "autoexec.bat" to include
this, you'll need to reboot to make this active.  If that can't be
done or is inconvenient, write me back and I can tell you how to
extend the PATH online.)  You can read the stuff at

   http://www.operasoftware.com/support/install.htm

and in the Opera help file.  One portion reads

   How can I get Opera to open my dialer and connect to my ISP?

   Windows will look for and load the closest winsock/dialer
   program when an application calls up an internet protocol
   such as http or ftp. This will most often start the dialer.
   Problems can arise on machines with multiple winsocks (this
   is a general problem for all browsers). We do not have our
   own dial-up program.

which is taken from

   file://localhost/C:/PROGRAM FILES/OPERA/HELP/INDEX.HTM

which is part of the Opera download.

Failing all that, if you're missing "winsock.dll", you can
reload it from your Windows installation media, or get one
from, for instance,

   http://www.dzn.com/support/win31.htm

which provides the very popular "Trumpet Winsock".

[snip]

Enjoy Opera.  It's fabulous!

  Jan Theodore Galkowski
  jtgalkowski(at)alum.mit.edu, 500-446-2770
  algebraist(at)salonmember.com, algebraist(at)operamail.com
  Database and Web Programmer-Analyst
  http://home.att.net/~jtgalkowski/algebraist.htm
  Specializing in formal methods, logic programming,
  and other advanced programming techniques for
  applications, including AI and expert systems
  Member,
    the Association for Logic Programming
      (http://www.cwi.nl/projects/alp/Welcome/topics.html),
    the Software Contractors' Guild