Re: Switching to Windows NT

by Greg Spurr <gspurr(at)whoever.com>

 Date:  Tue, 04 Aug 1998 21:12:12 -0500
 To:  "Ben Z. Tels" <optimusb(at)stack.nl>,
<bzabor19(at)idt.net>,
<hwg-software(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 02:55 PM 8/4/98 +0200, Ben Z. Tels wrote:
 <snip>

>Second, if you ever have an error during the boot sequence that causes a
>stop condition, you'll never get back in (you can't boot NT from disk); they
>say you have an Emergency Repair Disk, but it's never worked for me. All you
>can do is reinstall.
>And of course, if it DOES crash, any data you have in an NTFS-filing system
>(drive, partition, what have you) is locked away. Nothing except NT can read
>NTFS, so if you have to reinstall, all you can do is hope your data will
>still be there when you get back online.

<snip>
Acutally, there's a wonderful little utility called NTFSDOS that will allow
you to access an NTFS partition from a dead NT box.  I have used it
personally to recover an entire server's worth of data.  You can find it at
the Systems Internals website....  http://www.sysinternals.com/

CUL8R :)
-GS