Re: Best OS for HTML authors. (Was: RE: software to change res. without restart.)

by Bob Bonnell <napmw(at)feist.com>

 Date:  Tue, 02 Feb 1999 23:33:51 -0600
 To:  "Jo Poplawski" <jopop(at)parallaxstudios.com>,
"HWG-software" <hwg-software(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Jo, nice to meet you! I started out as a "hand tager and still do HTML that
way".I took over a site and am now trying to learn the finer points. ie.
How it all really works! good info for a beginner, Thanks Bob B

At 11:33 PM 2/2/99 -0500, Jo Poplawski wrote:
>> The software that I use to switch my monitors resolution, bit depth,
>or even
>> which monitor to put my main desktop on is MacOS 8.5. None of which
>requires
>> a reboot.
>

>Just my 2 cents worth.  I run Windows 98 on a 256 meg P233 with 40 gigs of
>HD and 3 56K modems running multilink to my ISP.  That is my main design
>computer.  I also have 2 other computers, a 486-66 and Pentium 83.  They
>also run windows.  All the computers are connected via fast ethernet.
>
>I would say that for your basic site design and coding that using either
>Windows or the Mac would be more than acceptable, and generally easier than
>doing it under any of the *NIX's since more people are familiar with them,
>you can have a half dozen different browsers loaded to test  your files
>with, etc.
>
>However, for actually testing the site in its *entirety*, I would say that
>having one of the *NIX's is a strong plus.  That is why I am considering
>connecting a Linux box to my network so I can do all the CGI/Perl/Email/etc
>testing on a live Apache server before I actually put it up on the real
>server on the internet.
>
>Now I only have to find a really nice Linux person who would like to give me
>some free advice on getting a Linux box up and running! :)
>
>Just my opinions.  But I personally don't get into the Windows vs. Mac wars
>since both systems are excellent.  I just went the Windows route early on
>because of the availability and cost of the peripheral hardware.  But I
>could just as easily work on the Mac's as well!
>
>Jo Pop

Bob Bonnell, C.P.M.
Webmaster NAPM-Wichita KS,
Webmaster NAPM-District II