RE: WYSIWYG (reasons not to use)

by Kayla Block <kblock(at)placeware.com>

 Date:  Mon, 22 Mar 1999 16:29:02 -0800
 To:  <hwg-software(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I must say I'm amazed at the number of folks on this list who seem to have
no clue that at least a year ago, we reached a stage of having high quality
wysiwyg tools available to web developers and non web developers.

Unfortunately, I can't present the "challenger" any sample pages because
the work I do goes into a product and not into a public web site...but I
can assure you that both of the tools I mentioned generate compliant code.
Our product is run through a standard validator on a nightly basis and any
errors introduced have always been due to human error, rather than problems
with the product. OTOH, I might not be the best test case. I use a combo of
Emacs and HoTMetaL Pro 5 with occas use of Homesite to develop my html.
Personally, I prefer HoTMetaL for various reasons, but in some ways
Dreamweaver (which I also use sometimes) works better.

Dreamweaver is available for a free sample trial. Download it from
www.dreamweaver.com and try it for yourself, oh ye of little faith!

FWIW, the consequences of this is that anyone doing web development work
better start learning a whole lot more than just html....

Kayla (a true believer)