Re: Relevant Cross Post

by Kayla Block <kblock(at)placeware.com>

 Date:  Wed, 24 Mar 1999 16:25:33 -0800
 To:  hwg-software(at)mail.hwg.org
 Cc:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 07:17 PM 3/24/99 -0500, Captain F.M. O'Lary wrote:

><summary>
>1: Standards *** DO *** require a DTD on the top line of an HTML file.
>2: There are still *** NO *** WYSIWYG editors that generate VALID HTML.

Eh? You looked at one editor. You didn't look at the other recommended
editor which does happen to put a DTD at the top. I believe the other
editor also automatically puts in alt="" for you.

Again, you reach these conclusions based on your own pre-judgements without
actually researching the matter for yourself.

>3: Documents with no DTD and/or other errors (no matter how "minor") are
>undependable and unpredictable _on the open Internet_.

I'd like to see one instance of a problem caused by lack of a DTD. DTD's
come from SGML. I have yet to see any browser fail due to lack of one. If
you know of something, please provide evidence of such.

Yes, they are part of the spec, but under no circumstances has it ever
effected any browser to the best of my knowledge.

Further, if you think that using a visual editor should put in a DTD, you
are always free to add one yourself. With the products in question, you can
do just that.

Kayla Block (thinking you can't talk to a closed mind and this conversation
has reached the realm of the ridiculous)