Re: e-zine software

by =?iso-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane?= Bergeron <stephberg(at)videotron.ca>

 Date:  Tue, 06 Jul 1999 15:29:13 -0400
 To:  S Chouinard <susanc1(at)gte.net>
 Cc:  hwg-software(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 12:21 PM 05/07/99 -1000, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm running an e-zine, and I'm looking for some software that's going to
>help me run it more efficiently, enhance usability for readers, and=
 automate
>some of my tasks. Anyone out there know of a software package that fits
>these requirements?

Hello Suzan,

I know of no software aimed specifically at helping manage an e-zine.  But=
=20
I am myself Web Site Manager and designer for a rather large e-zine that is=
=20
published 4 times a year.  It's a job I do in my spare time and I really=20
love it.  The tools I use are HomeSite and Dreamweaver (and=20
FTPVoyager).  The Dreamweaver site management features have helped me=20
tremendously in making the management of the site easier and have brought=20
me to use FTPVoyager less and less.  I also use DW to make quick edits to=20
pages and upload them immediately.  I am slowly learning to "trust" its=20
editing capabilities as I have always been  suspicious of all things=20
WYSIWYG and have always done the bulk of my editing with HomeSite and still=
=20
do really.  I am quite new to Dreamweaver so I'm learning it as I go.  I=20
have to say that it is a lot smarter than any WYSIWYG tools I ever tried=20
and it writes very clean and efficient code.

As for helping you with usability for your readers,  nothing can help you=20
better  than deep knowledge of HTML and usability issues.  Usual advice=20
like keeping download times minimal, providing meaningful ALT attributes in=
=20
IMG tags and things of the sort are what will help users navigate and enjoy=
=20
your e-zine.  At the e-zine I work for the "look" and navigation of the=20
site have been developed with the feedback of our readers and although I'd=
=20
sometimes like to alter the look I know our readers like things just the=20
way they are.  Listening to your readers' feedback is very important.  Our=
=20
site is frame less and we try to get our designers to write HTML 4.0=20
Transitional compliant code.  I have also been working on accessibility=20
guidelines for our designers to follow that I derived from the W3C Web=20
Accessibility Initiative and that I would like to see implemented in the=20
next issue or the one after that.  We already have the basics down=20
though.  If you have more specific questions don't hesitate to mail me=20
privately.

HTH!

St=E9phane Bergeron