Re: Distributed publishing model

by Christopher Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>

 Date:  Fri, 13 Oct 2000 14:28:10 +1000
 To:  Veronica <vlabarca(at)uclink4.berkeley.edu>,
hwg-software(at)hwg.org,
Jane Ashley <jaa(at)unx.berkeley.edu>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 14:15 12/10/00 -0700, Veronica wrote:
>We are currently trying to implement a distributed publishing model for
>our intranet. This basically means that the responsibility for content
>and publication of that content lies on "web publishers" throughout the
>organization who are the owners of the information. There is a small
>centralized group that sets standards and supports the publishers. Our
>initial choice of publishing software was FrontPage because it was easy
>to learn, part of the office suite we already have and because of it's
>server extensions and web site management capabilities.

As much as I dislike the product, Dreamweaver would be ideal for your needs
- it allows you to produce standard templates with "locked areas" that
users cannot change.  It also allows customised "sites" with
password-restricted upload access.

A final advantage is that, while being WYSIWYG like FP, it doesn't alter
code as much - and in fact has a setting for "cleaning up Word"-generated HTML.

Why do I dislike it?  It doesn't suit my needs being too
slow/inflexible.  However it is eminently suited to many of my colleagues
who have to produce code with little underlying comprehension of HTML.

Chris Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>
Institute of Land and Food Resources
University of Melbourne http://www.landfood.unimelb.edu.au